Visit United Way 211’s COVID-19 City/County/Organization Based Financial Assistance for Individuals and Families webpage for limited city, county, and nonprofit organization programs across the state that may have additional financial resources.

Find help with additional rent payment assistance by calling 211, texting your zip code to 898-211, or visiting the United Way 211 website – even if you are not being evicted. Pay what you can now and look for additional help to get caught up with your bills.

If you need to replace lost or stolen documents needed for applying for rent payment assistance, such as birth certificates, Social Security cards or state identification cards:

Click here if you need to obtain or replace a lost or stolen birth certificate

Click here if you need to obtain or replace a lost or stolen Social Security card. There is no charge for this.

Click here if you need to obtain or replace a lost or stolen state identification card

Find help with birth certificate and identification card fee payment assistance by calling 211, texting your zip code to 898-211, or visiting the United Way 211 website.


If you are facing eviction, it is best to seek legal services right away. This will give you time to apply, arrange an appointment, and gather any documents you may need.

Find help with eviction prevention through legal assistance by calling 211, texting your zip code to 898-211, or searching the United Way 211 website.


The Tenant Resource Center: Supports Hennepin County residents who are at risk of eviction or homelessness through a collaborative partnership between community, non-profits, government, and higher education. Service partners include legal, mediation, workforce, housing search, and rent assistance.

  • RentersHelp Tool: An online tool identifying community services and programs that help Hennepin County residents maintain housing stability.

Hennepin County Housing Court Team: The Hennepin County Housing Court Team provides legal advice and representation for Hennepin County residents who are facing eviction with the goal of protecting tenants’ rights and achieving positive outcomes. The Housing Court Team can advocate on behalf of tenants with landlords and the courts to ensure tenant rights are protected, provide legal advice before and during housing court proceedings and represent tenants in court, negotiate with landlords to try and resolve issues out of court, or to help tenants achieve a better outcome, help prevent evictions and get evictions removed from a tenant’s record, and connect tenants with financial assistance and other services to help achieve stable housing. There are income eligibility requirements for legal advice services and legal representation services. Call (612)348-7012, 8 am – 4 pm Monday – Friday, or email contactars@hennepin.us. Appointments can be arranged outside of intake hours.



Minnesota Emergency Assistance for Families/Emergency General Assistance is a short-term assistance program for people experiencing a financial hardship. You can access the program application through your local county human services office or at MNBenefits.

Bridge to Benefits

This web-based screening tool can help an individual identify if they’re eligible for public works programs, including SNAP, WIC, School Meal Program, Minnesota Health Care Programs, Energy Assistance and Child Care Assistance. Visit the website for more information.

Community Action Partnership

Minnesota Community Action Partnership members provide assistance to individuals and families in times of crisis. Find Your Local Community Action Agency.


A non-profit Minnesota tenant advocacy organization providing free and low-cost legal, organizing, education, and advocacy services so that tenants throughout Minnesota can solve their own rental housing problems. HOME Line’s hotline is confidential:

HOME Line’s office is currently closed to the public and cannot accept any walk-in appointments. Call or email for legal advice about your tenancy. Visit HOME Line’s website for more information.


In some cases, direct financial support may not be available. Visit LawHelpMN to get information about evictions. Also provides a dynamic online portal containing fact sheets, booklets, videos, and other legal information to help Minnesotans solve legal problems, with translations in Spanish, Hmong, and Somali.

Minnesota Attorney General Consumer Protection Division

If the matter is related to a utility, contact the Minnesota Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division:

Reach Justice Minnesota

A project of the Minnesota Legal Services Coalition, Reach Justice Minnesota is a series of initiatives that leverage technology and emergency staffing to help protect Minnesotans’ basic civil and human rights in the face of an unprecedented emergency and disaster. The Reach Justice Minnesota initiatives include:

Legal Kiosk Project: A statewide network of over 250 legal kiosks that are stationed in a variety of court, agency, non-profit, and other community locations. The legal kiosks will help Minnesotans who face technology access and transportation barriers to have a healthy and safe experience interacting with civil legal aid experts, as well as the administrative and court systems in which their cases will be proceeding. There are two types of legal kiosks:

  • Model A Kiosks: The Model A Legal Kiosk is a public-facing kiosk that serves as a community access point to civil legal justice. These kiosks connect users to civil legal information, self-help services, and statewide civil legal aid intake. Model A kiosks can be found in a variety of locations and are an excellent option for Legal Aid Programs collaborating on access points.
  • Model B Kiosks: The Model B Legal Kiosk is a Legal Aid Program-focused kiosk that serves as a virtual portal to the individual Legal Aid program managing the kiosk. Applicants and/or clients can be directed to Model B kiosks for tasks such as intake, meetings with their attorney, and appearing virtually as needed while represented by the Legal Aid Program. Model B kiosks are placed in locations with the ability to create a confidential space while the kiosk is in use.

Visit LegalKiosk.org for kiosk locations and to make a reservation.

Justice Buses: Mobile legal aid offices that will travel to rural areas and bring the ability to meet in person or obtain legal information so clients can stay close to home. Visit website to find out when the Justice Buses will be in a particular neighborhood.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

HUD has provided a Tenant Guidance Rent Repayment Plan which includes a sample letter to a landlord and other helpful Key Resource Links.


You might need to find a new place to live. Find help with shelter if you have no other place to stay by calling 211 or texting your zip code to 898-211. Begin thinking of moving expenses and finding places to keep any items you may need to store until you can find a place of your own.


Visit HousingLink to search for affordable rental housing vacancies and waiting list openings in Minnesota.


Find eviction resources by visiting the United Way 211 website and searching the database of agencies and programs available to residents of Minnesota. Be sure to read all the program details, especially eligibility, to find where to go, what to bring, and how to apply even if you can’t get in touch with the agency right away. Directions:

  1. Go to https://211unitedway.org/
  2. Scroll down to the Guided Search area
  3. Click on Eviction Resources, then click on Homelessness Prevention Programs or any of the sub-categories listed
  4. Scroll to the top of the page in the Location search field, click on the down arrow next to Near and select Serving
  5. Enter your zip code residence
  6. Click on Search
  7. Search results will include programs that provide assistance to residents of the zip code you entered as your location

Call 211 for additional assistance or help and speak with a trained, certified Community Resource Specialist to help you sort through additional assistance that may be available. 211 is available 24 hours/7 days a week, is confidential, and supports all languages.

Dial: 2-1-1 or (800)543-7709 or (651)291-0211

Text: Your zip code to 898-211

Need help finding a resource?

Call to speak with one of our highly trained Community Resource Specialists by phone.

Your call is completely confidential, and we have call menus in English, Spanish, and Hmong.

Call 2-1-1

Toll Free: 800-543-7709
Local: 651-291-0211
Text your zip code to 898-211*
24-7 / Confidential / All Languages

From Our Specialists:

I really like helping each person problem-solve. I never get tired of what I do.

*Standard msg&data rates may apply. Text STOP to opt-out. For end user privacy and terms and conditions of texting with 898211, go to https://preventionpaystext.com/policies/